What Is The Secret To Washing Windows?
Proudly Serving Los Angeles, and Surrounding Areas
Windows are an important part of any home or building. They showcase beautiful views, provide ventilation, and allow natural light which is good for your health. However, they also tend to get dirty easily and require frequent cleaning. If you’re struggling with streaky or grime covered windows, you’re not alone. But don’t worry, there is a secret to washing windows that will leave them looking streak-free and sparkling clean. In this blog post, we’ll reveal the secret and provide you with some helpful tips on how to achieve crystal-clear windows.
Table of Contents
The secret to washing windows is all in the process. Follow these steps to get your windows looking their best:
Gather Your Supplies:
You’ll need the following items:
- A bucket of warm water
- Ladder & spray bottle for exterior glass
- Dish soap or vinegar based glass cleaner
- A squeegee
- A scrubber (such as a microfiber cloth or a sponge)
- A dry, clean cloth or a lint-free towel
Mix The Cleaning Solution:
Add a small amount of dish soap to the bucket of warm water. You don’t need a lot – just a few drops will do.
Wipe Away Dust:
You don’t want to scratch the glass. Small dust particles should be removed before wetting the surface. Sweeping before mopping is considered a recommended approach, and the same principle applies to cleaning windows. Pay close attention to the perimeter, excess dust and cobwebs are known to congregate on window frames and sills.
Wet The Window:
Use the scrubber to wet the entire window with the cleaning solution. Make sure to get into all the corners and edges.
Squeegee The Window:
Starting at the top of the window, use the squeegee to remove the cleaning solution. Wipe the squeegee blade with a clean cloth after each pass. Repeat this process until you’ve squeegeed the entire window.
Dry The Window:
Use a dry, clean cloth or a lint-free towel to dry the window. Make sure to wipe away any remaining streaks or spots. The best technique is to wipe in horizontal and vertical motions, not circles.
Here are some additional tips to keep in mind:
- Wash windows on a cloudy day or in the shade to prevent the cleaning solution from drying too quickly and leaving streaks.
- Take out the window screens, and wash them separately
- Use a squeegee with a rubber blade that’s in good condition. A worn or damaged blade can cause streaks and scratches.
- Work from the top of the window down to prevent drips and streaks.
- Stick with the recommended supplies. Paper towels can leave lint behind. And ammonia, alcohol based cleaners, all-purpose cleaners attract dust and moisture.
If You Need Help:
In conclusion, washing windows is not as daunting a task as it may seem. With the process and a few household items, you can achieve sparkling clean windows that will brighten up your home or building.
If you don’t feel confident on a ladder with a spray bottle in hand, or the windows are out of reach, call a professional. RayAccess based in Los Angeles provides residential window cleaning, high rise window cleaning, and oxidized glass cleaning for those stubborn stains.