Wet Sealing Windows | RayAccess, Inc.
Proudly Serving Los Angeles And The Surrounding Areas
RayAccess is a 5-star rated exterior building maintenance contractor servicing rainwater leaks via the wet seal caulking procedure. Wet Sealing is a window caulking service where a silicone sealant is used to prevent water intrusion. Wet sealing is commonly used on window hardware with glass-to-frame or frame-to-frame joints.
To perform wet sealing properly, hiring a sealant specialist is a must. Unlike most amateur contractors who are ill informed with the ever changing market of sealants, RayAccess technicians reduce the risk of sealant failure. RayAccess has applied wet sealing on all kinds of substrates protecting windows in private homes, office buildings, residential complexes, and commercial storefronts.
Since 2011, RayAccess proudly serves the industrial, commercial and residential market throughout Los Angeles. Our clientele counts on us to find the right silicone sealant, and access the most hard-to-reach windows at any height. We employ rope access technicians to protect your buildings the most efficient way possible. Rope access is the most cost-effective solution to safely access areas unreachable with ladders. Our certified technicians are also trained to use the entire spectrum of access equipment.
Table of Contents
- 1 Three Common Dry Glazing Issues:
- 2 Why Sealants Fail:
- 3 Properties of Silicone Sealants:
- 4 Our Process for Wet Sealing Windows:
- 5 ALTERNATIVE SERVICES:
- 6 Wet Sealing Benefits with RayAccess:
Three Common Dry Glazing Issues:
The most common problems with a window assembly or skylight assembly that can result in rain leaks are:
- Deteriorated or shrinked rubber gaskets: A component of many window assemblies include black rubber gaskets made of EPDM rubber. Overtime, these rubber gaskets crack and shrink creating holes where rainwater can seep in, resulting in leaks. The shrinkage and cracking most often happen at the outer and thinner edges of the gasket. The purpose of wet sealing is to completely conceal the gasket with a new silicone sealant to prevent leaking.
- Missing or faulty sealant on window joints or fasteners: In some cases, window installation companies forget to put sealant on joints to prevent water intrusion. Also, sealants are prone to crack and deteriorate over time. Thus, it’s a good practice to inspect and replace faulty sealants every 2-5 years depending on environmental conditions including sunlight & UV exposure, temperature deformation, salt and air pollution.
- Improper design or installation: Since rainfall in California is seasonal, amateur glazing companies don’t have sufficient expertise in waterproofing windows. The most common installation issues are wrong location or setup of weep holes, missing end dams, exposed covers or frame joints that are not utilized as a weep system. In addition to, missing sealants on frame-to-wall joints.
Why Sealants Fail:
The #1 reason sealants fail or don’t last as long as they should is due to improper sealant application or deficient preparation by a contractor. An experienced wet sealing contractor knows how to select the appropriate sealant that is compatible with its bonding substrate.
Types of Sealant Failure:
Loss of Adhesive: there is a break along the bonded line where the sealant connects with the substrate. The failure is due to the sealant not adhering to the substrate. Several reasons for loss of adhesive include joint movement exceeding sealant capacity, improper surface preparation, or improper bead configuration.
Cohesive Failure: there is a split or tear in the actual sealant. The failure is due to the sealant not holding together. Several reasons for cohesive failure include improper sealant selection, poor mixing of multi-component sealants, possible air entrapment in the sealant from mixing, or improper bead configuration.
Substrate Failure: there is a break in the substrate, not the sealant itself. The reason is due to poor surface preparation. The substrate had existing issues such as loose pieces of surface material and should have been cut back or sanded.
Properties of Silicone Sealants:
There are several advantages and disadvantages with silicone sealants.
- The ability to repel water and form watertight seals
- UV stability & temperature resistance
- Greater movement capability & elasticity
- Adhesion to many substrates
- Ideal for bonding glass to metal
- Attracts dirt
- Potential for staining
- Cannot be painted
- A limited expiration date or shelf life for when the sealant should be applied
Our Process for Wet Sealing Windows:
5-step wet sealing process: Complete Removal, Cleaning, Surface Preparation, Application, Tooling.
- Silicone does not adhere to polyurethane sealants so it is crucial to fully remove old sealants. Silicone only adheres to silicone.
- Cleaning using the two-cloth method, meaning a solvent wipe followed by a dry clean wipe. To prevent adhesion failure, all dust, grease, or any loose pieces or contaminants need to be removed.
- Preparing the surface with bond-breaking tape or backers rod is necessary to create two-sided adhesion and maximize joint movement capacity. Otherwise there will be three-sided adhesion which limits joint movement and makes cracks happen.
- Applying sealant via application gun with a nozzle to match the width of a joint.
- Tooling is the last step usually neglected by amateur exterior caulking contractors. With the use of a special spatula, the recommended hourglass shape is formed for best adhesion and aesthetics.
Rain Leak Inspections:
Inspecting rain water leaks requires a thorough inspection. Since leaks can form in totally random areas a full diagnostic needs to be done to pinpoint the source of the rain leak.
Exterior Wall Caulking:
Exterior Wall Caulking is the procedure of sealing cracks in wall joints to block water intrusion while withstanding building vibrations that occur due to seismic movements & temperature deformation.
Window Caulking is a protective and waterproofing procedure to protect the building envelope. The process includes sealing window joints with an appropriate sealant to prevent water intrusion from entering the interior.
Skylight Caulking is a type of window caulking service that can prevent major leaking and destruction due to the fact that skylights are part of the roof or first line of defense for protection.
Wet Sealing Benefits with RayAccess:
There are thousands of sealants on the market and picking the right one for your specific building can be confusing. RayAccess technicians go through comprehensive training. Our technicians only use the best silicone sealants for wet sealing windows. We spend the time that most amateur contractors neglect to source the right sealant to keep your building healthy.
RayAccess stands by our work and guarantees the satisfaction of the wet sealing we complete. We provide a labor warranty for 12 months for wet sealed areas. If you find a leak due to our service we will re-caulk the area(s), no questions asked.
High Access Capabilities:
RayAccess high access capabilities include rope access which can help reduce the cost and time to complete your wet sealing job. Our technicians are skilled at working on high-rise buildings and projects at any height. From skylight leak repair to sealing windows at penthouse levels on historical buildings, we get to places others don’t.
Licensed & Insured:
RayAccess, Inc. is a fully insured, bonded, and licensed caulking contractor. Whether you are a homeowner, manage an industrial facility, or a property manager we can help you. Our exterior building technicians inspect leaks and seal windows to prevent water intrusion. Don’t delay, wet seal your building today and avoid more costly repairs.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
- 1033 Ocean Ave HOA Board
On behalf of 1033 Ocean Ave HOA, I would like to thank RayAccess for a great job in cleaning and restoring the exterior of our building. Utilizing your rope access system saved our Association much in costs and we are glad to have avoided the need to erect scaffolding to perform the work. Sergey and his crew were very professional and communicated well during the project.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Los Angeles / Director of Engineering
"Great job in washing our building! Very professional team."
- Fisch Properties / Property Manager
"Thanks so much for the great work! The windows look perfect"
- Playa Vista Community
"Great job at a great price! Had them come in to clean our building and were able to reach the high windows with no problem! Called for a free estimate, they came that same day and then came to clean to the next day! Friendly staff as well!"
- SouthPark Group/ Property Manager
Thank you so much for cleaning windows at our building. The tenants are so happy! They can finally see what's outside their windows!
- Loews Hotel/ Director of Engineering
I'm really happy with work RayAccess did for us on painting the exterior of Loews atrium. At first, I though it would be a nightmare project because of old paint condition and difficult access to some areas. But it turned out to be a very professional and smooth job! Thank you.
- Rooftop Cinema/ Head of Design & Production
RayAccess painted our outdoor movie screen on a high-rise building in Downtown LA. With their Rope Access method, they saved us thousands of dollars in bringing a huge lift and blocking almost entire street. The job was done perfectly! Thank you so much!
Exterior Wet Sealing Service Area
RayAccess, Inc. provides Leak Inspection & Wet Sealing Services in the following areas: Los Angeles County (including Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, Hollywood, Downtown Los Angeles, Glendale, Santa Clarita, Burbank, San Fernando, Pasadena, Culver City, Marina del Rey, Playa del Rey, El Segundo, Long Beach, Redondo Beach, Torrance, City of Commerce), Orange County (including Anaheim, Santa Ana, Fullerton), Riverside County (including Ontario, Riverside, Cabazon, Palm Springs), San Bernardino County (including Fontana, San Bernardino), San Diego County.